2002-010 - 5" Freelance 0-6-0 Tender Loco
(no photo at present)
This model was stolen from the Charterhouse Square London
area in the UK on 25th May 2002.
- Length: approx 1350mm
- Width: approx 250mm
- Height: approx 300mm
- Weight: approx 100lbs
The loco is also unique but is similar to a
Polly design, currently built by JGS Clarke Ltd.
The engine has been repainted in Midland Red with black
edging, separated by yellow lining about 2mm wide, applied in paint using a
lining pen. Wheels are black and buffer beams pillar-box red. All paint is
cellulose. The cab interior, roof and smokebox are semi-matt black.
- It is not a scale model of any known locomotive. Paintwork is
Midland Red, with Black borders and yellow lining, separating the 2 colours.
All paint gloss cellulose, and in mint condition.
- There are no brakes or reversing gear of any kind. The only cab
fittings are a water gauge, pressure gauge and throttle, plus 2
footplate-mounted axlebox oilers, and the firebox door has no locking catch.
The rear axlebox oilers are located inside the cab and painted black.
- There is a boiler feed pump operated by an eccentric on the front
- The cab is completely bolted together, the front plate being split
in two vertically along its centre-line.
- There is a distinctive mechanical lubricator on each side of the
footplate above the centre axle, powered by a rod made from radio control
operating rods (most unusual), attached to a crank on the rear axle. These two
lubricators plus 6 of the 8 cylindrical oilers on the footplate are also red,
black and lined yellow.
- There are coupling hooks but they lack chains.
- The dome is painted because the fixing screw is off to one side and
I needed to disguise it.
- All the fluting on the connecting rods (all made from thick steel)
is filled with black paint.
- The display plinth has the rails mounted as described, rather than
- The paintwork was in mint condition
- No boiler cert
- 6 wheel tender outside framed, and with coal rails, painted and
lined to match loco.
- Distinctive display plinth -It consists of a plinth and a baseplate
below. The plinth was made from MDF, internally braced and measures 1550 x
374mm, x 60mm deep. It appears black in the photos but is actually speckled
with several shades of black, charcoal grey and gunmetal paint to give a subtle
marble effect. The baseplate beneath is 450 x 1600 mm and painted black matt.
The top of the base unit drops into the base unit itself, and is of varnished
½ plywood with the chairs and aluminium rails painted with a
realistic rust effect.
If you have any information on this model please contact
Snow Hill Police Station, 5 Snow Hill, London EC1A - tel: 020 7601 2222 quoting
Crime Ref. No. 004513/02
You can also send information by email to
[First published: 19th
June 2002, Updated: 23rd June 2002]
All information on this site is
copyright © Andrew J Clark